Monday, July 12, 2010

Using Social Media in Small Colleges

This appears to be more of a question about the use of Social Media rather than a "how-to". The replies/comments are variable - some are helpful and others are just further questions, some longer than the original post.
Is it possible that this isn't the best way to ask for advice? Around the office, I ask advice from people whose expertise and opinion I respect. On the internet I leave myself wide open to all sorts of advice and opinions and then will spend a lot of time sifting.
Maybe I don't want advice so much as a collaborator.

3 comments:

  1. When you're not in the office and you don't have people nearby to consult, it can be helpful to develop a global network or personal learning network of people whose opinions and expertise you respect and admire. Even more, it can be constructive, thought provoking, and stimulating to hear what people are doing in our fields outside of our own institutions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a similar feeling about all of the sifting that seems to come with using blogs. I recognize that over time, it may be possible to develop a network of people to use as consultants. But, I value the immediate give and take of a face-to-face conversation. I think it leads to spontaneous problem-solving and cooperation that may be missed in a one-dimensional format such as a blog.

    Thanks for your thoughts, Jim, and Rita.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Mary with regard to social networking as a class activity. Our students have spent so much time using technology that many lack strong face to face communication skills. Manydon't know how to talk to each otheron anything but a very superfical level and they certainly don't know how to communicate with those in positions of authority.

    ReplyDelete