Thursday, July 29, 2010

Final Project

I used Central Desktop (www.centraldesktop.com/jimmyt/mcdesg-116). It wasn't a concious choice in the sense that it was the first Wiki that I came to.
My main aim is to create a space where students can help each other. Ideally this happens in the classroom, but some students have other commitments and can't necessarily hang out there as much as needed. A wiki would be an alternative meeting place where students could discuss their difficulties without waiting for my response. I heard recently "When one person teaches, two people learn". In particular evening students may have taken prerequisites a while ago and need a conversation to refresh their knowledge.
When a student asks a question in writing, it has to be reasonably well phrased. Another aphorism that applies, especially in engineering, is "A problem well stated is a problem half solved".
My only disappointment with Central Desktop is lack of appearance modifications. I do like that related items can be arranged in folders. PBworks appears to be better thought out.
Jim T

2 comments:

  1. PS The link above requires a login:
    Username: JimmyT
    Password: Harold1066

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was impressed by your final project. Wikis are a pretty big undertaking, in my opinion -- something I've tried twice myself and failed at both times. Even with all of the tools available now, it's a much larger project to jump into than, say, using glogster, because so much of what a wiki is tends to be content driven. Good job on it!

    ReplyDelete